Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My favorite hair oils.

These are my absolute favorite oils because they are the only ones that prevented my hair from getting dry and frizzy after washing (coconut oil), stopped my scalp from itching between washes (castor oil) and reduced my shedding to an acceptable rate (Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil).

Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil
Uses:
Promotes dark and lustrous hair
Prevents falling of hair
Checks Dandruff & Dryness of Scalp
Cures Premature Grayness
What is has done for me:
dramatically decreased my shedding
faster hair growth (~1 inch per month)
Disadvantages:
unpleasant smell (the organic version does not smell bad)
Mode of use:
as a pre-wash scalp oiling, usually left on for 1 hour to overnight
Where I buy it:
USA Henna Store
India Abundance (organic)

Coconut Oil
Uses:
prevent dryness from natural plant shampoos used as a pre-wash, it also helps prevent protein loss (Scientific article that proves it)
Used in a solution, it can help lighten hair, including hennaed, dyed and natural hair color, mixed with honey (More info here).
Used as a pre-treatment, with a conventional dye or lightening solution applied over it, it can help lighten hair colour and increase dye uptake, while helping to prevent peroxide damage (More info here).
It can be added to shampoo and replace the need for conditioner, while not stripping conventional hair color (More info here).
Hair moisturizing and conditioning (More info here).
Getting truly healthy hair (More info here).
Helps in the re-growth of damaged hair. It also provides the essential proteins required for nourishing damaged hair and dandruff relief (More info here)
it is antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal (More info here)
For Skin: It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skins including dry skin, it is a safe solution for preventing dryness and flaking of skin; it also delays wrinkles, and sagging of skin which normally become prominent with age; it helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections;it helps in preventing premature aging and degenerative diseases due to its antioxidant properties (More info here).
may offer some protection against sun rays (More info here).
What is has done for me:
prevented hair dryness when washing my hair with SLS shampoo
moisturized my skin instead of lotion
Disadvantages:
it causes acne in some people (it's rather rare)
Mode of use:
for hair as a pre-wash length oiling
for skin as a post wash moisturizer
Where to buy it (always get the pure, unrefined, extra virgin, organic type):
health food store (it should be labeled as a cooking oil, but as you read above it is SO much more)
online (I buy mine on Amazon and prefer the brand Nutiva)

Castor Oil
Uses:
increasing hair thickness as it refers to ponytail circumference (More info here)
promotes new hair growth (More info here)
conditions the hair
promotes thicker and longer eyelashes (More info here)
heals skin: acne scars, prevents acne, cleanses skin in a safe way (More info here)
What is has done for me:
it has stopped my scalp from itching
it has promoted new hair growth
it has been a great skin cleanser (I have oily skin that is prone to acne)
Disadvantages:
it is a thick, sticky oil (which is why I combine it with Extra Virgin Olive oil for face cleansing and with Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil for scalp oiling)
can possibly cause acne (very rare)
Mode of use:
for hair: as a pre-wash scalp oiling
for skin: massaged into the skin, then removed with a hot wet towel
Where to buy it:
health food store
farmacy (it can be labeled as a digestive aid when ingested)
online

2 comments:

  1. Great information! I love hair oils. I've recently gotten into natural hair care to enhance my butt-length hair lol. Following. <3

    Kair
    becauseiwanttoknowmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you found this information useful. :)

      Delete