Thursday, February 23, 2012

Harmful ingredients in shampoo and conditioners.

I recently switched to VO5 Tea Therapy Clarifying Conditioner Vanilla Mint as my washing conditioner because after reading Why Shampoo Can be Hazardous to Your Health I found that my washing conditioners (Suave and White Rain) contain methylisothiazolinone, but then I saw that Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Fortifying Hair Conditioner doesn't have it. It does however have Cl 15985 (Yellow 6) which may or may not count as “FD&C Yellow No. 6”, it is technically a Cl, but not a “C”, so maybe it doesn't count? On the other hand V05 conditioners don’t have either ingredient so decided to try those out (again).


The reason I worry is because my scalp is very sensitive and it tends to itch, so I want to avoid using anything that may be harmful. I may just be freaking out for no reason because I used organic, sulfate free shampoo with all natural ingredients and the problem was still there. Which means it might just be my own scalp. I just want to experiment further and try to find something that may help out with my issue. Not to mention I always worry about shedding and I've read about people having increased shedding with Suave (here: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread) which could be related to the methylisothiazolinone.

Sometimes this task seems hopeless, but CO is awesome and I don’t want to stop, especially since it is so good at removing oils from my hair and I love using oils. Well after 5 washes (you read correctly) and some preening, I managed to wash out the Castor oil I put on my length about a week ago. That's the bad news. The good news is that V05 removed my Neelibhringadi Oil (Ayurvedic Hair Loss Oil), coconut oil and Rosemary EO very well. So as long as I avoid using Castor oil, washing with V05 shouldn't be much of a problem. What's cool is that it leaves my hair slippery so I don't have to follow it up with a heavier conditioner.

2 other interesting articles: Your Shampoo May Be Hazardous To Your Health and Fragrance Allergies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Testing out Sweet Almond Oil.

Apparently Sweet Almond Oil has great benefits : 1.  Gives Smooth, Flawless Skin 2.  Deep Cleansing Of Skin 3.  Removes Dark Circles &...