Saturday, April 21, 2012

Hair styles

At my reasonably short length I feel like I'm in a bit of a rut when it comes to hair styles.

At this point I can successfully do french braids, cinnabuns, gibson tucks, rope braids, Dutch braids, English braids, french twists, peacock twists, clipped up French braids, semi french-twists, flower buns, double braids, triple braids, micro-braids, double buns and the boring ponytail, looped ponytail, etc. Now this looks great on paper but I still don't feel like it's enough.

When I started growing my hair out I wanted to be able to enjoy it. Now for most people that means leaving their hair down and feeling it brush against their back or arms or whatever. For me it means being able to do cool and pretty things that keep it off my skin (the scalp being an obvious exception to that rule). I still feel like I can't do enough with my hair.

I love the braids, they are by far the most fun for me, but my braids are now long enough to touch my back and annoy me constantly, they are also too short to be put in a bun.

The one and only bun I can do rocks and I love it. What I don't love about the cinnabun is that no matter what I use to keep it up, my scalp ends up sore after a few days. I do really want to try double buns though. They sound super fun because I will be able to do buns that I can't do otherwise. That is my silver lining right now.

My hair has also been super slippery lately, it seems impossible to keep it in a braid except for Dutch braids, but those only last a few hours. Sigh. I think I might have to start dampening my hair before braiding/bunning.

I've been reading Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics (season 9) and in the first comic there is a gorgeous updo that Buffy wears. Unfortunately my hair is too short to do it (she has mid-back length hair, which is ~6 inches longer than my hair). But since I love Buffy and her style I am going to post a photo of her haido (it becomes bigger if you click it).
In closing I want to motivate myself to have more fun with my hair and find cool new updos to try and love.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.