Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A "bring my hair back to life" treatment

I've been looking forward to doing a treatment that solved all the problems I've been having lately.
- My scalp has shown a bit of buildup in the form of flakes so I wanted to do a scalp scrub for the first time, I've tried scritching (exfoliating the scalp with a comb held parallel to the scalp and moved back and forth) before but it never worked out as I liked it.
- I have seen build-up on my hair from protein and possibly hard water which caused me to want to clarify (remove product build-up) and chelate (remove mineral build-up).
- I bought some Cassia Obovata and I've been wanting to use it for a deep conditioning treatment (to get my ends back in shape), to make my hair shinier (it can be used as a gloss) and as a general treatment for my scalp (it's suppose to be anti-fungal, antimicrobial, antibacterial and treat eczema, itching, skin infections, skin lesions, mite infestations, more info here)

 This is my full treatment:
- overnight oiling: Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil on the scalp (to minimize shedding) and coconut oil on the length (to minimize damage from washing with harsh shampoos)
- scalp scrub: Extra Virgin Olive Oil with granulated sugar (massaged on my scalp on dry hair because wet hair is fragile and would break easier while being rubbed with granulated sugar)
- clarifying: Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying Shampoo
- chelating: Itely Chelating Treatment Shampoo (sulfate free)
- Apple Cider Vinegar rinse (I didn't want to use regular conditioner): one tea spoon vinegar to 8oz water
- Cassia gloss: 50 g cassia mixed with warm water and left to sit for 4 hours in a bowl covered with cling film  (photo of that here on page 27), then added 8 spoons of Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner before adding it to my damp hair, then wrapped it in cling film,  put a shower cap over it and let it sit on my hair for 4 hours. Cassia tends to make hair feel dry because of build-up that's left behind, but this last step really helps prevent that
- Conditioner Only wash (twice) with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner to wash out the Cassia: after rinsing the cassia mud out of my hair as much as I could, I added conditioner to my hair, massaged it into my scalp and length then rinsed it out, then repeated (if my hair would have felt dry after that I would have added a heavy conditioner to my length, then rinsed it out 2-3 minutes later)

Here's a photo of my hair after the treatment:



No comments:

Post a Comment