Must have tools for hair:
- detangling: wide-tooth seamless comb (either made of wood or bone, NOT plastic), or you can use finger combing, it's just as it sounds, you use your fingers to detangle your hair. With finger combing you still have to start at the ends and work your way up the length. Remember the most important thing: be gentle, you don't want to break any hairs.
- moving sebum (natural scalp oil) down the length: Boar Bristle Brush (this is how) should only be used on detangled hair or alternatively you can run your fingers down the length starting at the roots (this is called preening), you must squeeze the hairs between your fingers to move the sebum, just be gentle.
- washing can be done many different ways: there are natural alternatives, regular shampoo (although sulfate-free is better), and conditioner only.
- conditioning: natural alternatives, oils, hot oil treatments, cassia, regular conditioner, aloe vera gel (this is how) , beer, natural sebum (produced by your own scalp, with a BBB or preening), honey (this is how) , ACV (this is how), cold water rinse.
- for deep conditioning or hot oil treatments a heat cap can be used
- a shower cap is great for keeping your hair dry while showering on non-hair-wash days, keeping your hair warm while doing a deep treatment, keeping hair treatments from drying while on the hair, or keeping hair treatments from leaking
- hair toys: are needed to keep your hair up in buns or braids with minimal damage, and also to make your hair look pretty. Some of my favorites are: flexi8, ficcare, hair sticks, hair combs, hair ties without metal , scunci .
- scalp scrubs and scritching
- a clarifying and chelating shampoo or natural alternatives
Caring for your hair tools:
- It is important to wash your hair tools: hair toys and the like pick up things from your scalp and hair so they need to be cleaned just as your hair and scalp need to be cleaned. This is especially important if you have dandruff, because you can use a medicated shampoo to get rid of it, then you use a comb or toy which still has dandruff residue on it and BAM its back. This also applies to your hands, wash your hands before and after doing scalp massages, scritching and/or preening.
- It is also important to oil all your wooden hair tools. This protects them against water damage.